Erected in 1569

Blue Girls School - the rear of the Cathedral gate can be seen in the background

Accomodation for 25 girls


Mr. Storey's touching picture of "The Blue Girls of Canterbury" when exhibited in the Royal Academy was a favourite with everybody. The Blue Girls School itself, the neatly-clad and well-cared-for members of which the artist has so suggestively depicted in connected with the cathedral body of the town. At present there are about twenty-five girls in the school, who are receiving a sound education to enable them to get on in the world. There are many private subscribers to this excellent charity. The present mistress, Mrs. Sands, has held her position for more than thirty years, and we are assured by her that nearly all those who have been under her care have turned out well, many of them obtaining governesses' places, others going as servants, etc. That the poor children are happy and well treated would seem evident from Mr. Storey's clever picture. April 6, 1877


1850's - 1860's - St. Paul's Street - Sarah Ann Sands, School Mistress


1870's - No. 7 Burgate Lane - Sarah Ann Sands, School Mistress



Miss Sarah Ann Sands - Mistress


Sarah and her husband George were in St. John's Hospital in the 1890's


Sarah passed away in 1895 in Canterbury.



© T. Machado 2014