"In this archbishop's time there was another hospital, neighbouring to this of King's, alias Eastbridge, called Cokyn's hospital, built and endowed by one William Cokyn, a citizen of Canterbury, whose name in his posterity long survived him, in this city. This hospital was dedicated to St. Nicholas and the Virgin and martyr St. Catherine; and was situated in the parish of St. Peter, almost directly opposite to the late Black Friars-gate, having had a lane by it, once called Cokyn's lane, though long since shutup, and built upon. This hospital last mentioned, was built on the site of a house adjoining to the above William Cokyn's dwelling, or else was turned into one by him. Afterwards, by his charter, he united these two hospitals, and then by another charter, entitled them to all his lands, possessions and chattels, and made them his heirs. This union was confirmed by the bull of pope Innocent III. anno 1203, in which it is called the hospital of St. Thomas of Canterbury; and in Cokyn's grant of union, it is stiled the hospital of St. Nicholas, St. Catherine, and St. Thomas the Martyr of Eastbridge. Eastbridge hospital becoming thus by union or consolidation possessed of and owners of Cokyn's hospital, it ceased soon afterwards, probably, to be used as one, and was hired or rented out, among the possessions of the hospital of Eastbridge; in which state it continues at this time."

Hasted, 1801


In this neighbourhood, almost opposite to the Blackfriar's-gate, in St. Peter's Street, was another hospital called Cokyn's Hospital, founded by a citizen of Canterbury, one William Cokyn, which he dedicated to St. Nicholas and St. Catherine. About A.D. 1203, it was united to Eastbridge Hospital."

Felix Summerly's Hand-book for the city of Canterbury and the Cathedral 1843



© T. Machado 2007