Built in 1876, Opened in 1877, Closed in 1948, bought by William Lefevre

The former Congregational Church now Debenhams


"Memento of the Rev. Henry Cresswell, who was for forty-eight years pastor of the Congregational Church assembling in Guildhall Street, Canterbury", book published by the "Canterbury Press" office 1880, 63 pages (printed upon his death)


May 1866 - Canterbury, Guildhall Street Chapel

Rev. H. Cresswell

Collections 11 2 6

W. Brock, Esq. 1 0 0

W. Cannon, Esq. 1 0 0

Rev. H. Cresswell 1 0 0

Mrs. Cresswell 1 0 0

Collected by:

Miss Taylor 2 2 0

Miss Jarman 0 5 0

Mr. Admans 0 18 6

Mr. W. Sidders 0 7 0

Sunday School 4 4 6

23 l.


The Building News February 11, 1876

Canterbury, February 24 - For the erection of a new Congregational Church and schools, and other works. Mr. J. G. Hall, architect, 8 St. Margaret's Street, Canterbury

The Building News - March 10, 1876

Canterbury - For the erection of new Congregational Church. Mr. J. G. Hall Architect:

T. Cozens £4040

J. C. Gaskin £3963

H. B. Wilson £3927

J. G. Naylor, Rochester (accepted) £3863


"The Congregational Church in Guildhall Street, opened in 1877; it is in the Early Decorated style: the front being of Kentish rag facing with Bath stone dressings, with a five light Decorated window in the gable, flanked by two slender spires one on each side, acting as buttresses to the main gable; under the window is the principal entrance: the walls are generally of brick, with stone dressings to all the doors and windows: there are sittings for 650; total cost, including additional ground for a site, 5,000 pounds; architect, John Green Hall esq. Assoc. Mem. Inst. C.E. Canterbury. The Rev. Edmund Goodson is the pastor." Kelly's Directory of Kent, 1882



"The foundation stone of this magnificent building was laid by Samuel Morley, Esq., M.P. on July 10, 1876, and has been erected from the plans of Mr. J.G. Hall (the then city surveyor), and is in the early decorated style. The main body of the building is of brick, and will accomodate 750 worshippers, inclusive of 290 in the galleries. It is rectangular in shape, 64 ft. by 47 ft. with a schoolroom attached." Directory 1889


1896 - On the 22nd inst. the band of American Congregationalists, descendants of the Pilgrim Fathers who sailed 276 years ago in the Mayflower, visited Canterbury in the course of their pilgrimage to this country. A reception service was held at the Congregational Church, and afterwards the Pilgrims visited St. Martin's Church and the Cathedral. At the Deanery they were received with cordiality by the Dean, who conducted the party over the gardens of the old Monastery, the Cloisters and the Chapter House, Canon Scott Robertson subsequently showing them round the Cathedral and Crypt.


A congregational church was founded in Canterbury December 12, 1645, some of the early pastors were: Mr. Comfort Starr, Mr. Durant, Mr. G. Sendall

1882 - Rev. Edmund Goodson Hours of Service; 10:30 am. 6:30 pm. wed. 7 pm.

1882 list of ministers and delegates (Jubilee by Congregational Union of England and Wales) Rev. E. Goodison, Guildhall Street, Canterbury r

*Littlebourne, near Canterbury. A New Chapel was opened on April 10th, in connection with the mother chruch, Guildhall Street, Canterbury. Rev. W. H. Hill preached in the afternoon. At a meeting in the evening, presided over by the Rev. E. Goodison, addresses were delivered by the Revs. J. Aldis, J. Clarke, W. H. Hill and F. Barclay. 1882

1889 - Pastor, the Rev. B. Price

1891 - Rev. Benjamin Price

1917 - Services: Sun 11 and 6:30; Sunday School, 10 and 2:45; Sacrament of the Lords Supper, 1st Sun. in the month, after Morning and Evening Service alternately. Mon,, Young People's Society, 8; Wed., Women's Pleasant Hour, 2:45; Prayer Meeting, 8; Thurs., Band of Hope, 6; Friday, Prayer Meeting, 3; See. & Treas., Mr. E.G. Wood

1917 Rev. Charles SALES


© T. Machado 2007