~ DANE JOHN BUILDINGS ~
St. Mary Bredin
6 messuages outside the Ridingate at the south west corner of the cattle market called Dane John Buildings erected by Richard Herve Giraud* on the site of a messuage and garden in 1818.
*possibly one of the oldest Freemasons c. 1824
"Mr. Richard Herve Giraud, Deputy Governor of the French Protestant Hospital, and also one of the Founders of the Society. The name of Richard Herve Giraud is so well known, not only amongst Huguenots, but amongst numberless others who, during his long life of more than fourscore years, have benefited by or been witnesses of his unwearied energy in promoting the happiness and well being of all whom he could by any possible means assist by word or deed that it is superfluous to make any detailed statement here respecting him. The noble descendant of a noble race, he will long live enshrined in the memory and hearts of the Huguenots. As was fitting, the Society was represented at Mr. Giraud's funeral by several Members of Council.
"The new burial ground in Gravel lane purchased of Mr. Richard Herve Giraud, was consecrated by the Bishop of (?) 1807"
1838 John CRESSWELL, Dane John Buildings, listed under Coal Merchants and Dealers
May 18, 1854, property in Canterbury and Upper Hardres, to be sold at the Rose Hotel, including the Dane John Buildings and the Almonry. CCA-CC-P/1/Q/2
Dane John Buildings
James ELVY, Painter Journeyman
May DAW, (w), children Mary and Thomas
James AUSTEN, Coachman
© T. Machado 2014