~ THE PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL ~
Prior to 1876 NORTHGATE STREET, ST. JOHN'S PLACE
1876 THE BOROUGH
The previous Methodist Church prior to becoming a part of St. John's Board School 1876
The declaration of Joshua SMITH, dissenting minister, Primitive Methodist Connexion 1855 - held by the Cathedral Archives, Session Papers CC/JQ
The Old Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was turned into one of the St. John's Board Schools in 1876.
In the early 1850's Mr. George OSBORN a Primitive Methodist Minister was lodging with Samuel WEAVER, a Shoemaker on Broad Street
The 1851 census for religious worship, gives statistics for the Primitive Methodist attendence as follows:
Morning - 88
Afternoon - 93
Evening - 100
The New Primitive Methodist Chapel in The Borough, built in 1876. Now no longer a church, and is used by the King's School.
© T. Machado 2007