~ SANKEY & NUTT ~
"Bankruptcies, announced between the 20th of May and the 20th of June, 1819 - M. W. Sankey, Brewer, Canterbury."
Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine 1819
William Sankey (d.1789) was
brewing in the mid 1750s probably in Beer Cart Lane. Willam Webster
Sankey (b.1767) son of above was in partnership with William Baldock,
who sold his share in 1791 to Henry Simmons & John Nutt who both
became partners in the brewery. Matthew William Sankey (b.1765/6) brother
of WWS was by 1800 heading up the firm Sankey & Nutt. MWS bought
out both Simmons' & Nutt's shares and in 1798 he also bought the
Folkestone company John Baker/Millbrook Brewery, which then traded as
Sankey & Holman until 1819.
The Town of Dover situate in the
old Dover Road, in the borough of Longport.
information supplied kindly by Rory Kehoe
© T. Machado 2013