~SOCIETY OF FRIENDS~
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
10 CANTERBURY LANE / 6 THE FRIARS
The meeting house in Canterbury Lane was opened in 1688 and altered in 1772
Friends Meeting House, No. 6 The Friars
"The Friends' Meeting House is a small unpretending building, situate in Canterbury lane, which will hold about two hundred and fifty hearers."
The building in Canterbury Lane was actually bombed out in the June 1942 air raids
The 1851 census for religious worship, gives statistics for the Society of Friends attendence as follows:
Morning - 9
Afternoon - 9
Evening - 0
1917 - Services Sun. 11. Adult School. Canterbury Lane; Sec., Mr. A. Graham Porter, 21 St. Martin's Road - For men, Sun., 2:15; for women, Tues., 6:30; Sec., Miss Elgar, 19 Dane John.
© T. Machado 2007