~ STONE HOUSE ~
THE BOROUGH ASYLUM, ST. MARTIN'S HILL
"Stone House Complex" from Canterbury Views, c. 1903
"The Borough Lunatic Asylum, erected in 1902, on the road to Littlebourne, is available for 50 private and 200 pauper patients."
From Kelly's 1903 directory of Kent
"Recently erected by the Asylum's Committee at a cost of over £100,000 on the magnificent site overlooking St. Martin's Hill. The institution under the superintendence of a Resident Medical Officer and a Lady Matron, is divided into two distinct departments - one for pauper lunatics, the other for private patients. Accommodation for 200 of the former has been provided in the main portion of the new buildings. The old Mansion House with its delightful gardens has been adapted fo the reception of 50 private female patients, and a detached villa mansion has been built for 20 private male patients."
1847 Miss Elisabeth Kenrick, Stone House, St. Pauls
Miss Kenrick, Stone House near Canterbury, Subscriber to "Conseutudines Kanciae" by Charles Sandys 1851 (2 copies)
Miss Kenrick, Stone House, Canterbury -
Subscriber to "Illustrations of Roman London", by Charles
Roach Smith 1859
"....on the Sandwich Road, Stone House, the residence of Miss Kenrick.."
Canterbury in the Olden Time, John Brent 1860
*Creditors under 22 & 23 Vict. cap. 35. Last Day of Claim. Friday, Jan 8, 1869. Elizabeth Kenrick, Canterbury, Kent, Spinster. Feb 18. Dawes & Sons, Angel ct. Throgmorton Street. The Solicitors' Journal & Reporter 1869
1873 (return of owners of land, 1873) William E. PHILPOTT, Stone House, St. Martin's, Canterbury
Acres. 51, 3, 6
Rent 281 0
1892 Mrs. COUTTS, Stone House, Canterbury, member of the East Kent Natural History Society
1903 - Dr. Norman Lavers, Medical Superintendent
© T. Machado 2007