~ THE CHURCH OF THE FOUR CROWNED MARTYRS ~
AN ANCIENT CHURCH - LONG SINCE DEMOLISHED
IN 619, THE GREAT FIRE IN THE CITY
"The city was in imminent danger of complete destruction, when Archbishop Mellitus, a great sufferer from the gout, caused himself to be carried to the raging flames which had just then laid hold of the Church of the Four Martyrs. 'The sick man averted the danger by prayer, which a number of strong men had not been able to perform by much labour. Immediately the wind which, blowing from the south, had spread the conflagration throughout the city, turning to the north prevented the destruction of those places that had lain in its way, and then ceasing entirely, the flames were immeditaely extinguished."
J.Charles Cox, Canterbury A history of the Ancient City, 1905
The place where this church stood is supposed to have been near the Archbishop's Palace
© T. Machado 2007