~ ST. GREGORY THE GREAT ~
ST. GREGORY'S CHURCH
Built 1851 (George Gilbert Scott), and consecrated August 23, 1852 by Archbishop John Bird
Damaged in the air raids of June 1942, closed for 10 years *marriages took place at St. Martin's during this time
The church was closed in 1975
Sold to Christchurch College c. 1970's for music rehearsals
1970's The fittings from St. Gregory's church went to St. Albans (old Garrison Church) now the new All Saints
Burials ceased in many of the church and chapel grounds on January 1, 1856, with the exception of St. Gregory the Great and the Canterbury Cemetery in the parish of Thanington (according to the regulations for new burial grounds provided under the Burial Acts)
St. Gregory the Great, Canterbury, showing the Fuller Pilch Memorial on the left (it was moved to the cricket ground, minus the obelisk)
February 18, 1876 (The building news)
Canterbury - A stained window is to be placed in St. Gregory's Church, Canterbury, at a cost of £150, as a general memorial of all who have been buried in the adjoining churchyard, which will be closed after the opening of the new cemetery. The design has been prepared by Messrs. Lavers, Barraud, and Westlake, Endell-street, Bloomsbury.
"St. Gregory's Church
Within 500 yards of the Military Hospital, in a field called North Holmes, is the church of St. Gregory. It is a very handsome structure, and has a large burial ground attached, which is now used as a place of interment by all the parishes, the old burial-grounds being closed by a late Act of parliament." J. Jennings 1860
St. Gregory's Parish Records available at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives (1852 -1976)
KFHS has St. Gregory the Great Burials for sale (1852-1863, 1863-1870, 1870-1878, 1879-1939, plus alphabetical indexes)
St. Gregory's Burials 1852-99, begun by William Ovenden, Northgate, the cemetery was used by the whole of Canterbury until 1877 when the new cemetery in West Hall Road was opened. The list gives the name, age, date of burial, row and number of plot CCA-U3-105/28/1
Some of the items from St. Mary Northgate were moved to this church and then onto the New "All Saints" church (the old garrison church)
St. Gregory the Great, Canterbury
This church, a memorial to Archbishop Howley, was erected in 1852. Many of the windows are filled with stained glass.
A bell turret, rising between the nave and chancel, contains three bells.
Register 1852. Vicarage.
This handsome structure has been erected within a few years. It is intended to supply the religious requirements of the inhabitants of the Ville of St. Gregory, a district in the centre almost of the parish of Saint Mary Northgate, destitute since the suppression of its Priory of either church or chapel.
The large burial-ground attached to the new church is, with the exception of the cemeteries of the Jews, the Society of Friends, and the Wincheap ground, all very small plots, the only accommodation in the way of general interment provided for the population of Canterbury;
for the extra mural churchyards of St. Martin's, St. Stephen's, and St. Dunstan's are very properly almost entirely reserved for parishoners. An extensive and unrestricted Public Cemetery is urgently required.
Canterbury in the Olden Time, John Brent 1860
1896 - A presentation was made to the Rev. A. Stevens (late curate of St. Gregory and St. Mary Northgate), on the 16th at Broad Street School. The presentation was made as a testimonial from his late parishioners, the recipient having been recently inducted to the post of Rector of St. Mildred's.
© T. Machado 2007