~ ETHELBERT ROAD ~
1903 William Wood ALLEN
1903 Robert Henry ARROWSMITH, Ethelbert Lawn, Ethelbert Road
1927 Rev. Fielding H. B. OTTLEY, 5 Ethelbert Road (phone book)
1890's Edwin Bing b. 1845 in Thanet, (Thanington), Pharmaceutical Chemist and Soda Water Manufacturer, wife Sarah Anne (nee Wallis)
*Children, Charles (1861 Cambridge), Helen (1863 Cambridge), Eliza (1866 Canterbury), Wallis (1868 Canterbury), Jessie (1875 Canterbury)
The family was living at 41 St. George's Street previously where Edwins shop is
*Some members of a BING family moved to Berkshire, as we have in 1880's a William Bing, Garment Dyer and Frederick Bing, Printers Compositor living there, both born in Canterbury (I don't know whether they are part of Edwins family or not)
Baptism of a Christopher Bing at St. George the Martyr on May 30, 1641, to Martin BING
Edwin's parents were of Tonford Farm in Thanington his father Henry was a farmer of 200 acres, his mothers name was Sarah. Brothers - Herbert, Jarvis, John, and sisters, Helen and Julia.
In 1886, Helen Bing married Stanley Ash Collard
....Wincheap Street, Turnpike Gate, William and Sarah Fox and family (Drawing by A. Fox 1866?)
August 1913 - Godden and Son, Auctioneers, House and Estate agents, Station Road East, Canterbury. Have for disposal the following desirable properties. To let, unfurnished... Ethelbert Road, Semi-detached house, in excellent position, with 3 reception rooms, ample domestic offices, 7 bedrooms, dressing room, bathroom. Good cellars. Small garden. Rent £65 per annum.
1891/92, East Kent Natural History Society - Members - Mr. E. B. GOULDEN, Ethelbert Road, Canterbury
Frederick T. Holson, Colonel of the Infantry *working for them is an Ann S. STEDDY, Housemaid (
ST. ANDREW'S RECTORY
Richard Jandy, Clerk in Holy Orders (
Henry W. Mackinnon, Surgeon for the Army (
Francis Johnson, A Brigade Surgeon (
Robert E. Roe, Colonel, retired (
William ALLEN, Miller, retired (
Joseph B. SHEPPARD (
1903 Henry Alexander GOGARTY, B.A., M.D. Physician to Kent and Canterbury Hospital, lecturer practical medicines to St. Augustine's College
The British Medical Journal - May 5, 1906
Henry Alexander Gogarty, M.D. Dubl., Consulting Physician, Kent and Canterbury Hospital. The death took place on April 18th of Dr. H. A. Gogarty, for many years as well known and highly respected in Canterbury and Kent as formerly he was in the Rifle Brigade and in India.
Surgeon-Major Gogarty, to give him his military title, was originally a Dublin and Paris student, taking his first medical qualification (L.R.C.S.I.) in 1853. He then joined Trinity College, from which he received an Arts degree in 1855, and at intervals of about twelve years later, the two degrees in Medicine. Meatime, in August, 1855, he went out to India as an Assistant Surgeon on the Army Medical Staff, being attached for the greater part of his time to the Rifle Brigade, and serving also with the old 52nd Light Infantry. In the army he remained twenty-two years, retiring in 1877 with the rank of Surgeon-Major. His service covered the stormy period of the Mutiny, and he was present at the siege of Delhi (receiving the medal and clasp), and also at the defeat of the Sealkote rebels on the banks of the Raree. On his retirement from the service he settled down at Canterbury and was very soon in the awing of a new career which proved long and successful. A vacancy on the staff of the Kent and Canterbury Hospital occurred soon after his arrival, and with his election to it began more than twenty-five years of very active professional and administrative work. In spite of his considerable age, his health continued good until some eighteen months ago, when he resolved to give up practice and was elected Consulting Physician to the hospital. A resolution passed by the governors at the time of his retirement bore warm testimony to the value of the work he had done for the institution, and noted that in addition to his professional services he had rendered valuable assistance o the Board of Management. Other institutional work which Dr. Gogarty carried on nearly to the end of his life was the task of giving lectures on practical medicine to the students at St. Augustine's Missionary Training College. Amongst his professional bretheren, Gogarty, though a man of somewhat reserved dispostion was as well liked as by his lay friends and patients, the postion he occupied being best shown by rhe fact that on the reorganization of the British Medical Association in 1901 he was chosen as the first Chairman of the Kent and Faversham division. Similarly he was for long the Honorary Librarian of the Canterbury Medical Society. Dr. Gogarty was married and is survived by his wife, two daughters, and two sons.
1901 Edwin FINN, Thornby, Ethelbert Road (Master: Mr. W. J. Jennings) *Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects 1901
August 23, 1902 (Kentish Gazette & Canterbury Press)
FINN-LOGAN -August 14 at St. John's Church, Kingston-on-Thames, by the Rev. Stanley V. BLUNT, Vicar of Ham, assisted by the Rev. - Oakley, Percy Robert, eldest son of Frederick FINN, of Thornby, Ethelbert Road, Canterbury to Honorine Marie LOGAN, only daughter of Theodore Logan, No. 26, Knight's Park, Kingston-on-Thames.
1925 Mrs. Frederick Finn, Thornby, Ethelbert Road
© T. Machado 2007